Instruction by the media specialist:
● Introduces students to good literature with the hope of creating a love of reading.
● Supports children in finding a book at an appropriate reading level.
● Teaches students to use call numbers and the online Destiny catalog to find books independently.
● Prompts students to ask questions and seek answers.
● Integrates the use of online resources: eResources, Nettrekker, and BrainPop with curriculum projects.
● Uses a research process.
● Requires that students cite their sources of information.
● Encourages students to think critically and evaluate sources of information.
The media staff supports the teachers by:
● Providing materials that support curriculum.
● Providing an additional period of reading literacy instruction.
● Planning with the teacher for resource-based instruction.
● Suggesting print and non-print materials to use with students.
● Teaching the elements of the research process.