What children will study this year:
• How to express emotions in a healthy way by:
-demonstrating an understanding of individual differences.
-knowing and using conflict resolution skills.
• The attributes of the District #11 Education for Character Plan.
• Age appropriate personal safety strategies such as:
-personal safety, and
-societal violence and prevention strategies.
• Age appropriate nutritional requirements:
-knowing how nutrients are needed for optimum health and disease prevention
• The consequences of using drugs, alcohol and tobacco by:
-knowing the refusal skills needed to effectively cope with various situations
• Strategies to prevent the spread of communicable diseases
• The differences between communicable and non-communicable diseases
• The changes that occur in the human body
What you can do at home to help:
• Walk or drive around the community or neighborhood and observe safe or unsafe behavior or situations. Ask your child what strategies could be used to prevent accidents.
• Go grocery shopping with your child. Take time to read and discuss food labels. What impact will these foods have on weight control?
• Share your strategies with your child for how you solve problems or resolve
conflicts at work. Ask your child to tell you what he/she has learned about responsibility and expressing feelings.
• Talk with your child about an escape plan from your house/apartment in case of a fire. Make sure you have an outside meeting spot. Practice using the escape route. Also, discuss an alternate route.
• Make sure you have emergency numbers posted by your phone. Discuss their proper use with your child.