Franklin Elementary School got its start at the October 17, 1871, town meeting when it was decided that Franklin was to be built on the west side of the river. Enrollment filled the first two completed rooms in 1872 and the ANOKA HERALD commonly referred to the students of Franklin as "the scholars who attend Franklin". By the 1880's, Franklin had two primary departments and an intermediate department. There were four classrooms open by 1885. By 1915, it was determined that Franklin was deficient in lighting, heating, and ventilation. A bond was approved for a new brick six room school. This remains as the center section of the present school. With the post World War II baby boom, the building once again became crowded. The growth of Anoka in the 1950's and 60's rivaled the pace of growth of a hundred years earlier. In 1952, Franklin School opened a new addition with six classrooms, gymnasium, auditorium, and a kindergarten. The final addition to the school was completed in 1960.