Girl's Soccer Team Policies
"I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion." Mia Hamm
1. Coaches will not discuss playing time or team placement with parents or players. Remember, coaches want to be successful, just as players do and will put the best team on the field during games and work during practice to help ALL players improve. ANDOVER HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER IS NOT A RIGHT TO PLAY PROGRAM AT ANY LEVEL.
2. Players must attend all practices and games or they may forfeit the right to play. Coaches' discretion will be used to determine penalties. Players may also forfeit the right to start if they are gone the day before a game, regardless of the reason for their absence. Penalties may be increased for players who have poor excuses or who miss soccer for another sport. (Though we encourage multi-sport athletes, we do not support missing soccer for another sport.) Also, because our game and practice times vary, and because before school is usually an option, missing for school work is not always a good excuse. (Student athletes need to learn to organize their time.)
3. If you are going to miss a practice or a game, call your coach. Even if you are home sick, call your coach; it is not enough to tell a friend to tell your coach. (This goes for try-outs as well: Email or call Coach Snider.)
4. Parents are asked to call the team coach first, the head coach second, and the athletic director third. Please help us keep the lines of communication open, and help us to build a program based on mutual respect by following this order.
5. One goal of our program is to give as many players as possible the opportunity to play High School Soccer. Because of this we may have larger teams (22 is the MSHSL max), or make decisions about lower level teams that will optmize particpation.
6. Parents are asked to sit on the opposite side of the teams at games (when there is not a stadium).
7. All players are expected to help with fund-raising if they are expecting to: get socks, go on trips, and attend the banquet. Please do your share!
8. Be on time: The team will not wait for you to begin practices and the buses will not wait for you to leave for games.
9. Boosters are asked to communicate with the Athletic Director through the coach.
10. Andover Girl's Soccer is not a right to play program. This means that players must earn playing time and they do not just get it because they paid the player's fee. (Remember it is a player's fee that you paid, not a playing time fee)
11. Players will not wear team uniforms to practice (socks, shorts, and jerseys).
12. In order to keep all players working hard, and to make sure we are placing players appropriately, teams are NEVER set in stone. A player on Varsity or JV at the beginning of the season may find themselves on a different team come the end of the season. Every practice, every game is a try-out. Coaches reserve the right to move players as they see most appropriate. The reasons we do this are: to incite a solid work ethic for the entire season, not just during the week of tryouts, and also because we realize that in one week of try-outs we can not always accuratley judge the level of all players.
13. Players who wish to continue practicing after their lower level season ends should talk to coach Snider.
14. PSEO is a great opporunity! Though we will excuse players from practices to attend class, we recognize that missing practice may cost players an opportunity to prove themselves and may result is a player missing information or skills which may negatively affect playing time.
15. Try-outs and the preseason portion of the season is long, difficult, and essential! Players not attending one or all try-out sessions or preseason practices may NOT be placed on a team. The coaches will deal with these situations on a case by case basis. High School soccer starts the same time every year. Please plan accordingly.
16. Senior Night: We do like to take a night to honor the seniors in our program with a special half-time program; however, we do NOT honor our seniors with varsity playing time.
17. Being on Varisty or JV during a prior season and/or the number of years in the program or playing soccer will not guarantee any player a spot on varsity
18. Players are not allowed to wear clothing to practice and team events that advertises summer soccer teams. In the fall we are one team.
19. Players are not allowed to communicate negatively about Andover High School Soccer or the players in the program via Twitter, Facebook, Text, or through other social media.